This is yet another version of a 3D printed quadrotor, pointed to be one of the workhorses of my research… The main characteristic of this frame is that instead of using nut and bolts to join the arms and the base together, like in TEGO v2, I’m using Rotite®s!!!!
For those who don’t know what rotites are, you can give it a pick here, I was trying to find a solution to reduce weight of my previous TEGO v2 frame, and somehow I found this company, I immediately put in contact with them, and after several e-mail exchanges, phone calls and even videoconferences with the inventor, I was able to get my hands on some of their designs, there is a picture below where Stuart is giving me a lecture about Rotites.
So, I started playing in Solidworks, in conjunction with my favorite Industrial Designer, that was visiting me (it was on summer ), and we did this design, using 90 degrees A and B rotites, 4 B’s on the main plate and one B on each arm.
Then I order some more ESC and motors, exactly the same as the ones on TEGO v2, and put everything together. But… I did a critical mistake when soldering the motors, and it wasn’t flying, but, using the resources around me (undergrads, hehehe) I “kill to birds with one shot”, so, I teach them how to solder and the quad-ESC-motors basics, then we re-solder the motors and voila!!!! TEGO v3 is flying. Dont forget to check the video!!!
The weight was dramatically reduced, and the endurance dramatically increased!!!
Many thanks to Stuart Burns (inventor of Rotite®) and of course, the Rotite® company to letting me use their designs 🙂